Poricy Park began as a grass roots conservation effort in 1969 when private citizens, with assistance from The Nature Conservancy, enabled Middletown to acquire the 250 acres that constitute Poricy Park. Colonial history programs became an integral part of the park when research revealed the historical significance of the Murray Farmhouse and Barn, built ca. 1770. The barn was restored in 1978 and the farmhouse in 1981.
The Poricy Park Citizens Committee operated the park until August 2015 when Middletown Township assumed the responsibility. The Middletown Township Recreation Department oversees park programs and general operations. Their offices are located in the Nature Center at the Park.
Rebecca’s Reel Quilters (RRQ) was founded in January 1986 by Lynn Kough when 33 women with a common interest in quilting met in the Murray Farmhouse and quickly established basic operating guidelines for the guild. RRQ is named for Rebecca Murray who lived in the Farmhouse with her husband Joseph during the Revolutionary War. The founding members chose the spinning reel for the guild’s logo, as it was symbolic of a task Rebecca must have performed many times.
Community service has been an integral part of RRQ throughout the years. Our members believe that two of the main goals of our organization are to work together and give back to the community. Some of our outreach activities are making quilts for local charities, Quilts of Valor for our veterans, and dolly quilts for children in a Head Start program. We also make whimsical pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer which distributes them to hospitals treating children suffering from cancer and other life-threatening illnesses.
It is easy to become and maintain membership with RRQ with our open enrollment form below.