On November 6th, Stephanie and Anne presented five Quilts of Valor to Vietnam Veterans at the monthly meeting of the Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 12 at the Oakhurst VFW. Click on the link above to view photos of the presentations.
On March 31, we presented a Quilt of Valor to Ken, a veteran of Desert Storm. Ken served with the NJ National Guard. The presentation was held at the NJ National Guard Militia Museum in Sea Girt NJ.
On November 3rd, 2018 we presented our 100th Quilt of Valor! The recipient is a Vietnam veteran. He served as a helicopter crew chief during the war and received a Purple Heart after being wounded in combat. The quilt we presented was a signature block quilt containing messages of thanks from the community.
Since our RRQ group began making Quilts of Valor in 2015, we have made and presented quilts to combat veterans and active duty military in our local communities. The mission of the Quilts of Valor Foundation is to cover service members and veterans who have been touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor.
June 17, 2018 –
Our Quilts of Valor group was invited to participate in a Flag Day ceremony at Bedwell Elementary School in Bernardsville and present QOVs to local veterans from VFW Post 7858. There were 21 veterans! The group included World War II veterans, veterans of the Korean War and nine Vietnam veterans.
Feb 21, 2017- QOV presentation at VFW 4703 for WWII Veterans
Join our local Quilts of Valor group and support the Quilts of Valor Foundation
The annual dues are $5.00 and there is no additional cost or obligation. You do not have to make a QOV or do anything further. If you are already a member of QOVF, you may join our local group and pay the $5.00 when your current membership is due for renewal.
Benefits of joining include the following:
- Membership card with personal member number.
- Access to Members area of QOVF.org website via PIN (Personal Identification Number) offering ongoing special benefits such as patterns, vendor discounts, and other members-only opportunities. (Each member, whether individual or member of a registered group, has her/his own PIN.)
- Access to special programs within the quilting industry for discounts on supplies to be used only for making Quilts of Valor.
- Discounted participation in Foundation special events such as training meetings, conferences, and QOVF-sponsored quilt shows. Non-members may participate on a space-available basis and do not receive discounts.
- Listing of registered groups and quilt shops with Group Leader contact information on the QOVF website so potential new members can find and join the group.
- Access to the QOVF network of volunteer longarmers.
- QOVF’s online newsletter, QOVF Threads, emailed automatically to the address provided by each individual and group member. (Membership is not required to receive Threads.)
Quilts of Valor Foundation Mission:
The mission of the Quilts of Valor Foundation is to cover all service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor (QOV). Individual quilters and quilt groups around the country use their skills to create quilt tops and finished quilts for our wounded service personnel. Longarm quilters also volunteer their time to quilt the tops into quilt sandwiches which are returned to the quilter for binding. The quilter sends the completed quilt to the final destination, as directed by the QOVF coordinator, where it is presented to a wounded service member.